As a 20 year veteran for selling what is today called sage Pro Software, I have many clients using this system currently. Last year an announcement was made by Sage Software to discontinue support and new sales of Sage Pro ERP. I have had to meet with many companies that are now faced with switching their accounting or enterprise resource planning (ERP) system in the coming months. This process of review has made me think about the consideration of switching.
Here are a few reasons I came up with to explain why you might:
1) You are entering the same piece of data more than once. Except for cross checking purposes, data should only be entered one time. It should be shared with in the system and not required to be entered again.
2) You cannot get the data you need to run your business. You are either using spreadsheets to make up for the limitations of your current system, or you simply do not have the data required to make important business decisions
3) The data you use to make decisions is always outdated. You get the data you need, but not in a timely basis. Perhaps you are getting reports quarterly or monthly, but need the data weekly, daily or even immediately.
4) You do not trust the data you are receiving. The system reports that you have enough inventories to complete a product, but your procedure is to have someone visually check before each order is started. You are now doing double the work and using extra resources.
5) Your system does everything you need, but nobody uses it. It is either too difficult and users make too many errors in attempting to use it, or it just takes too long and is inefficient.
If you see yourself in any of the five scenarios listed above, you should consider if your system is holding your company from growing. Contact your solution provider to review your system to see if it is time to consider upgrading or switching.
- Sage ERP TV (erplife.com)
- Case study: How traditional ERP helped meet modern business expectations (zdnet.com)